Volcanoes are commonly found:
1. above hot spots.
2. where land masses on two different plates come together.
3. along subduction zones.
- 1 only
- 2 only
- 3 only
- 1 and 3
Which of the following identifies a method used to separate impurities from molten metal?
- mine drainage
The environmental impact of mining related activities in the Copper Basin, Tennessee region involved all of the following EXCEPT:
- destruction of nearby aquatic communities.
- acid precipitation.
- no exceptions, all of the above occurred in the Copper Basin area.
Planting the same crop year after year:
- increases damage by insects and disease.
- decreases soil erosion.
- does not deplete essential nutrients from the soil.
- will slowly increase crop yields.
What form of soil conservation is shown in these photographs?
- A = conservation tillage; B = strip cropping
- A = multi-cropping; B = contour plowing
- A = terracing; B = shelterbelts
- A = contour plowing; B = conventional tillage
When magma rises to the surface of the earth, it cools and solidifies to form ___ rock, but the rock that forms from altering other rocks through intense heat and pressure is ___ rock.
Which of the following statements about the nature of global mineral use is FALSE?
- Highly developed nations like the United States and Canada have less than 6% of the world population but consume more than 25% of the world’s metals.
- Many of the world’s top mineral producers are highly developed countries such as the United States, Canada, Australia, and Russia.
- Both mineral production and mineral consumption in China is on the rise as the country industrializes – for example, China both produces and consumes about 34% of the world’s primary aluminum (aluminum obtained from ores).
- No false statement, all statements are true about the nature of global mineral use.
What is shown in the picture?
- a slope mine
- an open-pit surface mine
- agricultural terraces
- a subsurface mine
In soil formation, the parent material provides:
- water-holding capacity
Which of the following statements about forests in the U.S. is FALSE?
- The majority (well over 50%) of U.S. forests are owned and managed by private individuals.
- Forests in the eastern U.S. are holding steady or even expanding due to secondary succession on abandoned farmland.
- One of the biggest threats to forests in the U.S. is their potential subdivision and conversion to suburban development like housing and shopping malls.
- Projected conversion of forests to agriculture, urban, and suburban lands over the next 40 years will have the greatest potential impact in the south.
Which of the following statements about the Forest Stewardship Council is TRUE?
- The FSC is a German organization that acts as a legitimate third party in certifying wood that is harvested using environmentally sound and socially responsible practices.
- FSC certification is based on the sustainability of the timber resource, socioeconomic benefits provided to local people, and maintenance of forest ecosystem health.
- FSC is criticized by some who are skeptical about the reliability of FSC investigations and the economic viability of this type of forestry.
- All of the statements are true.
Which of the following statements about rangelands is TRUE?
- Rangelands have native grasses with fibrous root systems that can survive extended periods of drought.
- Rangelands are valuable for food production but yield no other economically valuable resources.
- Rangelands can benefit from overgrazing by cattle since it may actually increase the plant diversity.
- Rangelands are found in temperate regions, but not in tropical climates.
Who owns the LEAST land in the United States?
- The federal government, as national parks.
- Native Americans, as communal lands.
- Citizens, corporations, and non-profit organizations, as private land holdings.
- State and local governments, as state and municipal parks.
While tropical rain forests are largely being cleared for ___, tropical dry forests are being destroyed largely due to ___.
- commercial logging…road construction
- sourcing pharmaceutical products…cattle ranching
- mining mineral ores…charcoal production
- subsistence agriculture…fuelwood harvesting
As part of the National Wilderness Preservation System (NWPS), areas that are designated as wilderness are found in the following types of publicly owned lands:
- national parks
- national forests
- public rangelands
- all of the above
Which of the following can be found in U.S. National Parks?
- Significant modern architecture.
- Economically significant areas or buildings.
- Historic battlefields.
- Farm land.
The following are benefits of habitat corridors:
- they provide animals with escape routes, should they be needed.
- they allow animals a safe migration route to find mates.
- they allow large predators a way to maintain large territories.
- all of the above are benefits of wildlife corridors.
The condition in which people live with chronic hunger and malnutrition is ___.
- food crisis
- subsistence agriculture
- food insecurity
Which type of pesticide has fewer deleterious environmental effects? Why?
- narrow-spectrum pesticide because it focuses on killing specific organisms
- narrow-spectrum pesticide because it stays exactly where it is sprayed
- broad-spectrum pesticide because it moves around the environment to reach all potential pests
- broad-spectrum pesticide because insects cannot develop resistance to it
- neither broad and narrow-spectrum pesticides have deleterious environmental effects
Organisms at higher levels on food webs tend to have greater concentrations of bioaccumulated pesticide stored in their bodies through a process known as
- biological magnification
- persistent amplification
- genetic resistance
- genetic engineering
What would a narrow-spectrum pesticide kill?
- its target organism
- indiscriminate organisms in the vicinity of its spray
- thin-leaved plants
- tapered insects such as wasps and ants
- all organisms in a restricted range
Industrialized agriculture’s increased use of pesticides over the past years is resulting in
- fewer insects and weeds developing resistance to pesticides.
- more insects and weeds developing resistance to pesticides.
- more beneficial microorganisms in the soil.
- more biodiversity of fish and other aquatic organisms not affected by the pesticides.
- farmers applying progressively smaller quantities of pesticides.
Which of the following is not a serious concern with the type of pesticide application illustrated below?
- harming species other than the ones for which the pesticide is intended
- inability of the pesticide to readily break down into safe materials such as water, carbon dioxide, and oxygen
- mobility of the pesticide through water runoff
- pest species evolving genetic resistance to pesticides
- ease of application to ensure that all plants are equally treated with pesticide
A health concern related to the ingestion of genetically modified foods is
- vitamin deficiency.
- food allergies.
- germplasm disease.
- gene mutation.
Which of the following statements about sustainable agriculture is false?
- Sustainable agriculture preserves the quality of soil.
- Sustainable agriculture and industrialized agriculture are the same thing.
- Sustainable agriculture includes diversification of crops.
- Sustainable agriculture requires little fossil fuel derived energy.
- Sustainable agriculture has minimal long-term environmental impacts.
This ENV100T Week 3 assignment contains a Word document.
Click HERE for more ENV100T weeks.
If you would like to order an original assignment, please contact email@example.com or text (617) 299-6181. Kindly visit our original assignment website www.prowriting.co